Soda is a great thirst quenchers. Whilst it is good to drink soda, we have to be reminded that it does not do well when it comes to our health. Sodas are considered junk foods for a reason. Here are some startling facts about soda:
- The body will think of it as water: When you are hungry and consider soda, the body will just ignore it and assume that you are drinking water so thirty minutes after that, you still find yourself hungry. Actually it is better to eat candy because then the body will acknowledge it as a food and will not tell you how hungry you are.
- Soda can encourage diabetes: You know that soda contains sugar but you still consume it. Actually, soda drinkers have higher risk of developing type-2 diabetes. Remember that every drink will simply increase your odds of having diabetes by 18%.
- It can destroy teeth: Sodas are filled with sugar and acid that can destroy tooth enamel. The acid will only hasten the destruction of tooth enamel.
- It is not good for the bones: Research tells us that soda is bad for the bones because it can decrease bone mineral density. The lower the bone mineral density, the higher chances of developing osteoporosis and fractures.
- Soda will age you: The American Journal of Public Health disclosed that soda drinkers have more old white blood cells compared to those who rarely consume soda. This means that soda ages you like smoking.
With the things mentioned above, hopefully we can curb drinking soda. If it is difficult to totally stop it, we have to slowly get rid of it. Temptations are present especially here in Singapore where sodas are readily available but if we discipline ourselves, things will be better and healthier.