Most Dangerous Electrical Hazards You Might Have at Home

Posted by & filed under .

There are many different electrical safety hazards you might find at your home. Unfortunately, most of the victims of these are children who are not supervised and even adults who attempt to fix an electrical issue on their own. The good news is that these hazards can be eliminated by always being aware of your power system and having all your electrical works handled by a professional and licensed electrician.

1. Poor Wiring

A wiring repaired or upgraded by a licensed electrician and that conforms to fire and electrical safety hazard is a must for your property and your family’s safety. Therefore, it is best to avoid DIY electrical works and get a good electrician here in Singapore to take care of your home’s wiring system. Damaged, worn out, corroded and cracked wires can heighten the possibility of electrical accidents. Let an electrician services company with licensed powermax workers in Singapore assist you with the replacement and upgrade of your old, faulty wiring. Some more hazards of this kind include:

    • Frayed extension cords
    • Overheated cords or wires
    • Electrical wires chewed by rodents
    • Improper connections
    • Cracked wire insulation due to heat, bending or old age

2. Outlets Close to Water Sources

Outlets in kitchens, bathrooms and other areas of your house with water should be installed in a safe distance from the water source. Since water is a conductor of electricity, keeping outlets away from the water reduces possibilities of electric shocks. As much as possible, never use a hair dryer, radio, charging phone or any electrical devices near the pool, in the shower or anywhere with wet floor.

3. Inquisitive Children

Babies and toddlers tend to be very inquisitive and excited to explore everything around them. Even in the safety of your own home, it’s still extremely important to supervise babies, toddlers and preschoolers all the time. You may even have to take extra measures to ensure their safety. It’s recommended that all electrical outlets within your kids’ reach must be replaced with extra-safe powerpoints. This kind of outlet prevents any object—including your toddler’s finger—from going into the power socket and avoid possible electrocution and injury.

4. Overheating Light Bulbs

Perhaps, you don’t expect light bulbs to be electrical hazards, but they actually are when installed near flammable objects, such as drapes, beds, plastics and upholstery. Also, just like any electrical home equipment, lights can cause electrocution, too. When replacing a light bulb, make sure to turn the switch off before touching the bulb, and never attempt to do the repair with wet hands. Ensure that you use a bulb with the right wattage to avoid overheating, which can cause fire.

5. Misused Extension Cords

Extension cords must be fixed in place to reduce chances of tripping or accident. Do not use extension cords as your permanent substitute for additional sockets and avoid plugging in too many appliances in one extension. If not used, cover the extension cord sockets with socket closure for safety.

6. Splashing Water on Electrical Fire

One of the common mistakes in handling electrical fires is splashing it with water. If fire due to electrical issue occurs, never pour water on it as water will only fuel the fire and may cause electrocution. Always keep a fire extinguisher at home and use it instead of water during an electrical fire. If you don’t have one, switch the main power off, evacuate the place and call a fire fighter. Make sure to have your system checked by a professional electrician for the necessary repair and upgrade to avoid such accidents in the future.

7. Handing Appliances with Wet Hands

All electrical home appliances should never be operated with wet hands as this increases the possibility of an electric shock. However, many of us tend to reach for the hair dryer with wet hands straight out of the shower. To be sure, keep appliances away from showers, sinks and bathtubs.

8. Outdated Electrical Panels

If your electrical panel was installed 20 years (or more) ago, know that it is not designed to withstand the high voltage needed by today’s appliances such as DVD players, flat screen TVs, refrigerators, computers, home theatre systems, etc. The amount of power that these appliances require usually causes the breakers to melt, which causes serious wiring issues and making your power system dangerous fire hazards.

9. DIY Connections and Repairs

Many faulty wiring issues are caused by DIY fixes. For whatever reason, some homeowners attempt to have their electrical repairs done by inexperienced and untrained individuals who, despite having occasional good job for fixing basic wiring issues, are really not licensed to handle electrical fixes in the first place. There is a reason why professionals exist—to execute safe and guaranteed electrical upgrades and repairs.

10. Worn Out Outlets and Plugs

Just like wires, electrical plugs ad outlets have their own lifespan. When you see parts start falling out, you need to replace them. Worn out outlets and plugs are examples of simple electrical issues, but can cause electrocution or fire when left unattended. Because of the tremendous effect of this electrical issue, it is highly important to have your outlets and plugs checked only by a licensed electrician to ensure quality and safe electrician services.

When dealing with electrical wiring issues, it is always best to consult a trained and professional contractor. Only the professionals will give you peace of mind and guarantee that your home is safe from electrical hazards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *