Here in Singapore, almost every household is equipped with Wi-Fi internet connection. In fact, some households here in Singapore think that Wi-Fi is necessary. Wi-Fi is a good tool for children to study interactively. It can also help parents to understand their children because they are exposed to it. If in this case you are thinking about setting a Wi-Fi connection in your home, you have to be guided accordingly.
When you consider Wi-Fi, you need internet connection from your ISP (Internet Service Provider). You also need to provide devices that will maximize it like smartphones, desktop, laptops and other computers. Do not forget that you need router as well. Looking for a suitable router is not easy because you have to decide which one is best. However, looking for the right router does not need to be a daunting task.
You can consider the following guides to help you choose the right router for your home:
- Determine your needs: The first thing that you should do is determine your needs. For example, if you intend to use the router and the internet connection for your business, you need a dual-band router because it can support moving large files and streaming high definition videos.
- Match routers with your needs: Now that you determined your needs, the next thing that you should consider is match your needs to your band. If you need a single band, you should choose from 2.4 GHz. If you need dual-band routers for your business transaction, 5GHz will do.
- Standard protocol: You have to know that there is a standard protocol for Wi-Fi. The most popular protocols include 802.11g and 802.11n. G protocol is fast which transmits data of up to 54 mbps. N protocol is the fastest which can transmit at least 600 mbps.
- Secure privacy and connection: The next thing that you should consider is choose a router that will secure your privacy and connection. You have to choose a router that uses Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA). WPAs are important because it can generate alphanumeric numbers that can protect your connection from other intruders.
- Choose the right kind of antenna: Antennas are important because it supports the signal strength of your connection. You have to choose the right kind so your router can function well. There are many routers that feature different antennas. You can consider antennas that boost the range of signal.
Now you know how to scour the market to choose the best router for your needs. The next concern will be setting up your network. You can set up the wireless connection personally but if you think you cannot handle it, you can always ask for someone to do it.