We’ve seen it happen to others, and we might’ve experienced it ourselves. Whichever it is, an unrequited love isn’t the situation you’d want to be in. Not only is it agonizing, it can also crush your soul and leave you shattered for quite a long time. So if you’re currently struggling with an unrequited love, here are five simple ways on how you can deal with those I-don’t-want-to-live-anymore feelings.
1. Be Realistic. Don’t ever let yourself live in an illusion where your feelings are returned by the person you love. Fooling yourself won’t take you anywhere and won’t help you recover. Instead, accept the reality that your love interest doesn’t see you the way you want to; the sooner you face this truth, the faster you’ll be able to mend your broken heart.
2. Do Some Soul-Searching. If you ever experienced the pangs of unrequited love, you know all too well that the feeling is usually close to dying. You see the other person as an extension of your soul, which is why when they’re gone, you feel like you’ve lost a part of who you are. So if you feel like having some me-time and isolate yourself to find the part you’ve lost, do it. Although soul-searching cannot guarantee that you’ll heal, it’s still a good action to take to help you properly ‘grieve’.
3. Distract Yourself. Do you have any hobby that you’ve forgotten because of your unrequited love? If so, then take some time and immerse yourself in that craft again. Whatever it is that you excel at – sports or singing – do it. Doing this will surely keep you busy and prevent you from thinking about the person over and over again. Hitting two birds with one stone, right?
4. Spend Quality Time with Family and Friends. Finding out the truth that he’s not just that into as you are to him can be a really heart breaking process, but sulking in the corner of your room won’t help you in the moving on process. Instead, go back to your family or friends and make up for the lost time. Not only is this a great way to get the support that you need, you’ll also be able to show them how much you appreciate their presence in your life.
5. Love Yourself. Admit or not, you’ve probably blamed yourself for the rather tragic ending of your ‘fairy tale’ romance. You’ve probably beaten yourself up over and over again for reasons that you’re not really responsible for. Understand that if he doesn’t love you for who you are today, then you’re better off with someone else. Someone who’ll appreciate who your worth and love you the way you wanted to be loved.
We understand that coping with an unrequited love is really difficult most of the time. But by following these simple yet powerful tips, you’ll still be able to heal gradually and surely.